ADS1298ECG Front-End PDK is a set of two TI boards (MMB0 and ADS1298ECG FE), designed for evaluation of real time ECG signals. The kit is compatible with CCS and can be programmed, using C/C++. However, the board comes already factory preprogrammed for basic applications and has a 60Hz eliminating component. Therefore ADS1298ECG Front-End PDK can be used as a great demonstration of Biomedical signal acquisition, A/D conversion, and filtering for students. The board is supplied with its own software, needed to display the acquired data. The latest version of the software is freely available on the TI website. This tutorial will walk you through each step, needed to acquire your own ECG signal with ADS1298ECG-FE PDK.
- Downoload the ADS1x98/8RECG-FE evaluation tool software from the TI website, using the link provided below:
NOTE: Make sure to install the software before connecting the ADS1298ECG-FE PDK to the PC. Otherwise the board may not be recognized by the system.
2. Connect the board J1 output to a PC USB input (the connection cable comes with the kit) . Then power the ADS1298 board, using the Power adaptor, included in the kit. The Figure below shows the correct connections.
3. Launch the ADS1x98/8RECG-FE evaluation software. Make sure it recognizes the board and finds the firmware (the process may take a few minutes). Once the communication between the ADS1298 board and evaluation tool software has been established, you will see a “ready” message in the top right corner of the window.
4. To test the communication between the ADS1298 board and the evaluation tool software, click on the “ADC register” button. The Settings configuration, needed for testing, is shown in the following Figure (please, make sure you change the signal types for all channels by right-clicking on the “Channel input” and choosing the “Test signal” from the menu).
5. Click on the “ACQUIRE” button on top of the window. Then Click on the “Analysis” button, located next to the “ADC register” button in the top left corner of the window.
6. You should see the following square wave signal:
7. Now that the communication has been established and tested, you are ready to acquire your own real time ECG signal. The D15 input is used for electrode connections. However, it is important that you use a ribbon cabble instead of inserting the wires directly into the on-board D15 pins.
8. The D15 pins are connected to the jumpers, “responsible” for ECG leads. ADS1298ECG-FE PDK allows to use up to 12 leads, but for simplicity, we’ll stick to a 3 leads ECG acquisition (LL, RA, LA). The pins configuration is represented in Figure below:
Connect the 3 electrodes to your Right wrist, Left Wrist and Left leg and insert the oposite sides of the wires into the corresponding pins of the D15 ribbon cable.
9. Click on the “ADC regulator” in the evaluation tool window. Then change the Channel inputs to the “Normal Elecrode” as it is shown in the following Figure.
10. Click on the “Analysis” button and then Click on “Acquire” and on “Continuous”. Now you should see your ECG signal being recorded continuously on the screen: