I just spent over an hour speaking with Sifat regarding the application he and Glenn created. The have definitely put some major time and effort into this! Sifat walked me through some of the finer details of the ontology and where the application utilizes the information to collect keyword for its web search. I know have a clear understanding of the sort of information and how to structure the ontology. The one thing I will be doing differently is incorporating a URL to seed the web search. This is be added most likely as a object property in the ontology. Even better, we have a pretty good idea how to tweak the application slightly so it can be used for more general topic web searches. Thank you Sifat!!
Kudos to Sifat Islam and Glenn Fretag for their great work on the Diabetes Management Application which using the Semantic Web to search the WWW for related diabetes drug information. Just one of the links to a collection of their work is here. The ontology created by Sifat is the foundation of my ontology for this project. The goal is to also make Sifat and Glenn’s application useful for searching the web for all sort of information, not just that concerning diabetes. Sifat has presented his research and demo’d the application in a recent class of Dr. Shankar’s. I need to follow up with Sifat on a few questions I have after his presentation. I’ll get that set up in the next week or so.
Hmmm, we are not really getting the response we hoped for with the survey. It should really affect the ontology itself I will be developing, but without the right data, the application using the ontology just won’t be as effective. I’m going to trying posting a plea for responses on the Android Application LinkedIn group. And, Dr. Shankar is actually giving his class an assignment to complete the survey. That should definitely help!
Woohoo!!! The fine folks in charge at the ASEE Annual Conference have accepted my abstract. Looks like I’m headed to Indiana in June next summer. That’s way better thatn having to head up there in January!
The survey idea is a hit with Drs. Mitsova, Shankar and McAfee. They have even agreed to entice the students to complete the survey with a few extra point for each student who completes a survey. We will collect all the data in a shared spreadsheet which along the survey itself is a Google Docs document. To the view the survey click here.
I’ve sent an email to all the students asking them to participate in the survey. Fingers crossed we get lots of responses.
I didn’t realize just how busy this week as been. All this and a major project at work! Whew! It took a few iterations, but my abstract for the ASEE Annual Conference in Indianapolis in June, 2014 has been submitted. Interested? Here is the abstract: SSEGenericAbstract.
Great presentations from the application teams tonight! These people are super sharp! You can tell they have really done their research to find the information they need as well as web sites to share and utilize within their applications some even incorporating social communities to get app users to get involved with other in their local geographies. I asked these teams to share their tips and tricks for researching at the last meeting, but I just don’t see how they can get his information to me efficiently. Hmmm . . . what about a survey?
Tricked you didn’t I?! Just this week we received access to this blog site. I’ve been working with the IT folks and reading up on using WordPress to make sure I can get these blogs out to all those interested! (Please don’t all rush in to comment at once.)
I figured out how to add categories so my introductory blog would be separate from these weekly posts. Somehow, I also managed to figure out how to adjust the post dates so they would align with the activities covered in the blog. The menu part was a bit tricky but looks good don’t you think??
First week of October already?!?!? Time flies, that is for sure. One of the things coming out of the F2F presentations on 9/20 was streamlining of application topics. One of the teams realized their idea had all ready been done, so the app topics are moving around a bit. I’m working with Dr. Mitsova to get a updated list of applications.
It is September 20th and the first meeting of the Android Apps cross-department teams. Drs. Shankar, Mitsova and McAfee are all in attendance as are the Urban Planning, Graphics and Engineering (Computer Science) students. It’s kind of funny because the students from one department are on one-side of the room and the other department students are on the other. There doesn’t seem to be a middle ground. 🙂
After presentations by Dr. Shankar, Mitsova and McAfee, they turn the floor over to those of us looking to help or elicit help (me!) from the Android Apps team. Here’s my presentation . . . F2F_092013 Presentations are done – time for some goodies.